Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Introduction

My name is Mike D and I am a Fanboy.

Urban Dictonary defines a Fanboy as someone who is a passionate fan of various elements of Geek culture such as science fiction, comics, video games etc...  That is obviously not an all inclusive list of but I think a common denominator is that Fanboys seek enjoyment and solace in the sanctuary of the world of fiction.

I became a Fanboy on May 25th, 1977.  From the moment those crawling title credits of Star Wars: Episode IV began to scroll down the screen my future as a Fanboy was set.  Then came the action figures, lunch boxes, Halloween costumes and I didn't stand a chance.  I was far too young to actually understand what Star Wars was or what it represented, but I wasn't too young to gravitate to it and become immersed in it. 

Up next for me was the wonderful world of cartoons.  After school and Saturday mornings was when I got to be a soldier (GI Joe), a defender of the universe (Voltron) or a shape-shifting robot (Transformers).  I fought crime right alongside Inspector Gadget and dreamed of living in the Smurf’s village and winning Smurfette’s hand (don’t judge).  Again, it wasn't just the cartoons themselves it was the lunch boxes, bed sheets, costumes…  I didn't just enjoy these stories; I immersed myself in those worlds. 

As I got older I branched out and became more of a general pop culture guy.  I watched a lot of television and saw a lot of movies.  In my early twenties I was all about the WB (don’t laugh).  Dawson’s Creek and Buffy The Vampire Slayer (later Angel) were my shows man.  I was always a very angst filled person and those shows really spoke to me in my early twenties.

It was Buffy that brought me into the world of comics actually.  The show ended on television but they decided to continue it in comic book form.  I started reading the Buffy: Season 8 comic and branched out from there.  Hot, ass-kicking chicks are my thing.  Don’t get me wrong, I love the super hero thing but if you show me a bad-ass heroine (or most anything with vampires in it) I will show you my wallet.

By general society’s standards, most Fanboy interests are considered fringe or subculture (i.e. different).  From the moment I stepped into my local comic retailer’s shop I felt like I came home.  I felt safe and accepted and it became my haven, my sanctuary.   I found other people who liked what I liked and liked talking about it too.  I no longer felt like an outsider, I felt like I belonged.  That’s also why Cons are so great.  You get to be round so many other like-minded people AND you get access to the people who create what you love.


My name is Mike D and I am a Fanboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment